Types of chromatography is a wide aspect on its own. This is because the types are arrived at depending on a couple of factors among them the technique employed, the physical characteristics of the mixtures/ components and others. In light of all the factors put in to consideration, we can say we have around 12 types of chromatography.
What are the types of chromatography?
Below are the 12 types of chromatography with a little explanation of each type:
- High performance liquid chromatography- this type applies the principle of surface area to volume ratio. The mobile phase is pumped into the column at a pre-set pressure. The column particles are very small increasing the surface area to volume ratio hence better separation takes place
- Gas chromatography- as the name suggests, this type has a particular interest in gas. This is because it uses gas for the mobile phase. The gas used has to be pure i.e. doesn’t have any impurities.
- Ion- exchange chromatography- this type is dependent on the charge of ions in the mobile phase. Ions in the sample with the same charge will be eluted as like charges repel
- Size exclusion chromatography- this method works around the size of particles in the component. The largest particles are eluted first and the smaller ones follow
- Thin layer chromatography- like the name, this type has the stationary phase as a thin layer
- Paper chromatography- here, we use a rectangular or circular paper as the column.
- Affinity chromatography
- Liquid chromatography combined with mass spectroscopy
- Gas chromatography combined with mass spectroscopy
- Ultra high performance chromatograph
- High performance thin layer chromatography- a more efficient type of TLC
- Column chromatography- the mobile phase is poured through a column that in turn allows separation of the sample
Chromatography may not seem interesting for people who are away from the sciences world. This process affects daily lives in many ways. It is useful to separate a compound into various components. Chromatography plays a crucial role in the forensics, athlete testing, food regulation and also in favorite alcoholic drinks control.
Chromatography everyday uses
- If you are into Law and Order and CSI programs, it is helpful for the investigation of criminal cases. It helps in analysis of cloth or blood samples, blood testing, arson verification, etc. This process helps in determining alcohol, poisonous substances or drugs levels in the body.
- Chromatography offers accuracy and precision as it can identify substances that are in the bloodstream. Thus it is valuable for doping testing or even to check the drugs in athletes that enhance performance.
- Chromatography can trace meat as well. The efficacy in the food is of immense use in analyzing.
Specializing in variety of flippant matters such as the alcohol quality is one of the best benefits of chromatography as it helps saving millions of lives and is truly helpful. Ebola virus, the deadly one claimed more than 5000 lives from the last year after its outbreak and caused panic everywhere, especially in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, to places it is largely confined.
The scientists keep on making attempts to fight off the disease, but only chromatography has shown itself that it is incredibly useful in identifying the antibodies that are more effective and helps in neutralizing Ebola. There are no drugs that are validated as yet conclusively, thus it was the key factor in the development of this experimental immunization Zmapp. Nevertheless, it is expected to continue in the ongoing research to be used so that chromatography helps in determining the actual reason.