High potency vitamin and mineral supplements are of great benefit to your body. They help your
body cells function normally and also assist in fighting and preventing diseases. However, just like
anything else, you don’t need to abuse high potency supplements as it can be very dangerous. Always
use them as prescribed.
When you take higher than recommended doses of some vitamins you may cause severe problems.
For example vitamins D, A, E and K are fat soluble and this means that they are stored in the body.
Lot of doses of these can be harmful to the body.
Most of the water soluble vitamins such as the vitamin B6 are also toxic when taken in excess. Huge
intakes on the other hand can hide deficiencies on vitamin B12. In some extreme cases that involve
people taking 100 times the recommended dietary intake can stop the work of anticonvulsant drugs
like those used in epilepsy.
Excessive doses of some high potency minerals can also cause problems. At just five times the
recommended dietary intake, iron, zinc, chromium and selenium can be raised up to toxic levels in the
body for example
Large doses of fish oil may lead to decreased blood clotting
High vitamin B6 can cause some type of nerve damage
High vitamin C doses can cause diarrhoea
High vitamin A doses can cause birth defects and can also cause problems in the central
nervous system, bone, liver and skin disorders
Iron toxicity is very common. Very small amounts of over the recommended dietary intake of
iron can cause gastrointestinal upset, black bowel action and nausea. Severe toxicity of iron
can lead to a coma and even death.
Large fluoride intake can stain the teeth, weaken them. This problem is especially
experienced with children.